Shrapit Dosha is a negative influence present in your horoscope. This Dosha can cause many harmful effects in your life. However, there are remedial measures you can take to reduce its effects.
Planetary alignments play a significant role in deciding the key characteristics of a person from birth to death. These planetary alignments and combinations are called Yogas. Yogas are believed to be very auspicious and are revered during many important stages of a person’s life like marriage, establishing a new business, giving birth to a child, and deciding on their education.
The philosophy of Hinduism believes that Yogas have the potential to positively influence a person’s life and enable them with the tools, skills, and resources required to achieve greatness.
Like Yogas, there are certain planetary alignments that have an opposite effect on a person’s life, and these alignments are called Doshas.
Doshas happen when Saturn, Sun, Moon, Rahu, and Ketu occupy certain houses or are in a placement that does not allow the positive power of the Yogas to influence the person, thereby providing a constant and uninterrupted flow of negative energy.
Shrapit Dosh Meaning and Its Impact
Every jatak or Kundli has many different facets. Some of these may cause good effects in your life, while others might have a negative influence. A Dosha is a feature in your Kundli that causes bad effects.
A Kundali with the Shrapit Dosha
What is the Shrapit Dosha?
The Shrapit Dosha usually occurs when the planets Shani and Rahu are present in the same house in your horoscope. It can also be caused when Shani resides in a house from where he can aspect the house of Rahu. This Dosha occurs because of bad deeds done in past lives. Shrapit means “cursed”. So a curse acquired in a past life may also result in Shrapit Dosha.
Shani and Rahu
Shani and Rahu are two of the Navagrahas or nine planets in Hindu astrology.
Shanaishchara, commonly known as Shani, is the son of Surya and Chaya Devi. The word Shanishchara means “one who moves slowly”.
Shanaishwara is the dispenser of Karmic Effects
Shani is the planet Saturn. The ancient Hindu astrologers made a pretty accurate calculation of the period of Saturn’s Sidereal Revolution – 10,765 days, just a few days off from the modern calculation of 10, 758 days.
Shani is a male deity with a sword or stick (Danda) in his hand. His vehicle is the crow.
While seven of the navagrahas are physical celestial objects, two are not. Rahu and Ketu are shadow planets or Chaya Grahas. An asura called Swarbhanu posed as a Deva and consumed the Amrita being distributed by Mohini. However, Surya and Chandra identified him as an asura and pointed it out to Mohini who severed his head with the Sudarshan chakra. However, as he had consumed the Amritha, the head and body became immortal entities. The head became Rahu and the tail became Ketu.
Rahu Devamust be in the same house as Shanaishwar to cause Shrapit Dosha
Rahu and Ketu became shadow planets and were given the ability to influence the lives of people through their presence in the natal chart. In common belief, it is stated that eclipses are caused by Rahu and Ketu swallowing the Sun and the Moon periodically, in an everlasting feud as these two betrayed them to Mohini.
In Hindu astronomy, Rahu and Ketu actually symbolise the north lunar node and south lunar node respectively, coinciding with the intersection points of the sun and the moon as they travel around the celestial sphere. Eclipses occur on these points.
Shrapit Dosha – When Shani and Rahu Come Together
When Shani and Rahu come together in one house in the horoscope, or when Shani is able to directly affect Rahu’s house, conflicts arise. This is because Shani and Rahu are polar opposites in many ways. Shani is seen as the Lord of Justice among the planets. He lives within rules and limits. Rahu, on the other hand, is a rule-breaker, he wants to test the limits at all times.
The Effects of Shrapit Dosha
As there is an intrinsic conflict of viewpoints between these planets, Shrapit Dosha also results in conflicts and disagreements, among other effects:
Delay in marriagesConflict within familyConflict between a married couple, frequent quarrels and disagreementsCould lead to divorcePossibility of death of a spouseDifficulty in conceiving and having a child, frequent miscarriagesProblems with the health of childrenEducation and career growth of the native might also be affected
The most prominent symptoms of being affected by doshas are:
- The affected person will constantly be in debt and will not be able to resurface from that
- The person will find it difficult to hold relationships
- The native is easily drawn towards negativity and often finds himself/herself in trouble with regulatory authorities. In a few cases, there could be significant jail time involved.
- Marital disputes, adultery, and infidelity are common
- It becomes difficult for the person to conceive and in rare scenarios where the couple is able to give birth to a child, the offspring are either stillborn or are affected with complicated medical conditions.
While these are the most prominent ones, there are many other effects that one could face depending on the position of Saturn in Navamsa chart and Rahu in Navamsa chart.
Out of the many doshas, it is the Shrapit dosh that is dreaded the most, and people ensure that they do everything possible to nullify its effects to a certain degree.
Shrapit Yoga occurs when Rahu Saturn conjunction is in your horoscope readings. Shrapit Dosh is agnostic of the house and regardless of which house this conjunction occurs in, the effects could be devastating to the person.
This occurs when the person has committed sinful deeds in his/her past life and has not repented for them in their past life and is forced to face the consequences of those actions in their current life.
Shrapit dosh when Shani in the 10th house or Rahu in 5th house is in conjunction with Saturn.
There are many positive attributes that come with having Saturn in your planetary alignment in the right house, however, this conjunction does not trickle down any of those attributes into the person’s life. Shrapit dosh is not always significant, however, in times of Marak Mahadasha and Antardasha of planets it has the potential to cause maximum damage.
The most dangerous outcomes of the Shrapit Dosh are:
- The person affected or native will not be able to hold a steady relationship with their spouse, their parents, and their inlaws
- Marital discords and lack of respect for the spouse will become a pressing issue
- Lack of physical intimacy between the couple
- Inability to conceive a child
- In cases where the planetary alignment gets stronger after the birth of a child, the child gets sick constantly
- The path towards education and spiritual enrichment will not be easy and the native should undergo a lot of struggle to achieve this
Some Effective Shrapit Dosha Remedies
You can try the following to mitigate the effects of this dosha:
- Mrityunjaya Mantra- Shrapit Dosha Remedial Mantra
- Try to control your anger, avoid quarrels
- Take good care of your parents and other elderly people
- Offer help to the poor and others in need, without expecting any gains
- Each Saturday, make balls of cooked rice with ghee and offer these to cows and fish
- Perform Kanyadaan or marriage of your daughter
- Provide financial assistance to parents who are unable to perform the marriage of their daughterPerform Rudrabhishek in the name of your ancestors
- Consecrate a Shani Yantra by chanting the Shani Mantra “Om Sam Shanaishwaraya Namaha” several times. Keep this yantra in your homeWorship Lord Shiva, Hanuman, or Sri Ram
- Chant the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra at least 1,25,000 times, over several days or months, This is a powerful remedy that can even result in Shrapit dosha cancellation.
The Shrapit Dosha Mantra
The Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra for relief from Shrapit Dosha:
Om Trayambakam yajamaheySugandhim pushtivardhanamUrvarukamiva bandhanatMrityuomurkshir Mamrutat
Chant this shrapit dosha mantra regularly, and also perform all the other suggested remedies. You will definitely be able to reduce the impact of the Shrapit Dosha in your life.