Arthritis literally means joint inflammation. Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints, which results in pain, swelling, stiffness, and limited movement. Any part of your body can become inflamed or painful from arthritis. Arthritis is not a single disease – it is a term that covers over 100 medical conditions. Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis and generally affects elderly patients. Some forms of arthritis can affect people at a very early age.
Arthritis is not contagious. To consider how or why people develop arthritis, we must look at risk factors such as age, gender, genetics, obesity, joint injury, infection, occupation, smoking, and family history.
Symptoms of Arthritis
Some of the most common symptoms of Arthritis include;
- Pain and limited function of joints. Inflammation of the joints from arthritis is characterized by joint stiffness, swelling, redness, and warmth. Tenderness Of the inflamed joint can be present.
- Extreme fatigue, lack of energy, weakness, or a feeling of malaise.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Loss of range of motion or flexibility in a joint.
- Joint deformity.
- Long fever.
- Popping joints.
Causes of Arthritis
The actual cause of arthritis is still uncertain but there are certain factors that definitely contribute.
- Weight if you are overweight you have more likely to have arthritis because the extra weight causes wear and tear on the joints.
- Genetics exactly how genetics plays a role isn’t quite known but it is known to contribute to the cause.
- Calcium/magnesium, vitamin K or manganese insufficiency.
- Diet high in refined carbohydrates.
- Excessive use of tobacco or alcohol.
- Problems with the thyroid gland namely the parathyroid.
Home remedies for Arthritis
- Drink warm water containing 1 teaspoon of turmeric every day. It will relieve Arthritis pain.
- Patient should take extra supplement of calcium, zinc and vitamin C.
- Eat coconut and walnut. It will make your bones stronger.
- Mix 1 teaspoon honey and 2 teaspoon of lemon juice in warm water and drink it every morning. It is an effective home remedy for Arthritis pain.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cod liver oil to the juice of 1 orange, and drink it before going to bed. It will relieve your Arthritis pain.
- Prepare garlic paste and apply it on the affected area. It is an effective home remedy for Arthritis.
- Dilute 5 drops of essential oil of ginger in twenty drops of a carrier oil such as wheat germ or almond oil and massage into tender areas.
- Warm coconut oil or mustard oil, mixed with 2 or 3 pieces of camphor should be gently massaged on rigid and aching joints. It will augment blood supply, and decrease inflammation and stiffness.
- A tea spoon of black sesame seeds, soaked in 1/4th cup of water and kept over night, has been found to be efficient in avoiding joint pains and arthritis.
- Rub sandalwood paste or hot vinegar on affected area. It will help in getting relief from joint pain.
- Avoid sugar, white flour, macaroni, pie, cake, and sweet drinks from diet.